Thursday, October 20, 2011

Evaluating Your Google Keyword Competition Using Allintitle

Prior to writing an article for your website or blog, it is very important to evaluate your keyword competition on search engines especially Google. One of my favorite tools for evaluating my keyword competition is the allintitle feature on Google.

Once I have an idea for an article idea, I use the Google Keyword Tool to receive an estimate of the search volume on Google for a particular keyword. All you have to do is type in the name of the topic that the article will be about. Once you click search, Google will provide you with the search volume for that particular keyword as well as other similar ideas. Look at the picture below to see what would happened if you searched for dog training.


  


                   Evaluating Your Competition for Google Keywords
  When I look for an article topic idea, I look for Google Keywords that have 2000-3000 searches per month. If you look, the only Google Keywords that much that criteria are "private dog training" and "dog training phoenix". While the latter of the two Google Keywords would be good for a website about dog training in Phoenix. I believe that the first keyword would be better for an article.

The next step in evaluating your competition in Google is identifying how many web pages are using those same Google Keywords in the title of their web pages. To do this, go to Google and in the search box type allintitle: followed by your keywords, in this case, you will use "private dog training". After I did this Google search, I seen that my competition would be 6,780 web pages listed in Google. This is typically more results than I would like to see. As, I usually like results with competition less than 2,000 web pages. This is a pretty tough keyword to rank high for and probably not a keyword I would use to write an article. In general, I use keywords that are specific. The more specific the keywords are, the less competition you will have. This is the basic concept of identifying and evaluating your competition in Google. If you have any questions, feel free to comment :) 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment